Public liability insurance provides protection for your club should something go wrong involving a third party. Claims of personal injury or property damage can be incredibly expensive. Even if you’re not at fault, you may still incur considerable legal costs while defending yourself.
Public liability insurance safeguards your club by providing protection against such claims, including legal defence costs.
- Defence Costs
- The activities of a club, association, or other insured entity playing or administering Rugby.
- It includes all official activities connected with the sport including club social and fund raising activities.
- It does not include the activities of a licensed club. “Licensed Club” means a commercial premises with liquor license used by members and guests. A clubhouse or sports pavilion with a liquor license will not be deemed a licensed club.
- It Includes the hiring or leasing out of club premises to a third party subject to the conditions outlined here.
| Public Liability
||$20,000,000 any one occurrence
||$20,000,000 in the aggregate
|Excess (inc supplementary payments)
||$1,000 each & every Occurrence. $5,000 each & every Occurrence for Super Rugby or the Wallabies
|Vicarious Liability for Molestation
- A spectator contracts food poisoning after purchasing a pie from the club canteen on a match day. They sue the pie manufacturer and the club. The Rugby National Risk Programme Products Liability section would cover the defence costs and damages payable by the club.
- A water carrier is returning to the change rooms during a match and is injured when they trip on an uneven step. They sue the local council and the home club for failing to provide a safe environment. The Rugby National Risk Programme Public Liability policy would cover the defence costs and damages payable by the club.
- The goal posts collapse during a match, injuring a player. The player or their family sue the club. The Rugby National Risk Programme Public Liability policy would cover the defence costs and damages payable by the club.
This policy only provides limited cover for the actual participation by a person in Rugby or training for Rugby and where the injury or damage is caused or allegedly caused by another participant. Please refer to the policy wording, contained in the Club Administrators Sports Insurance Manual or contact Aon for clarification on this.